The e-Government Gateway (turkiye.gov.tr), which was established and is governed under the responsibility of the Ministry of Transport, Maritime and Communications per Cabinet Decree No. 2006/10316, is being developed and operated by TÜRKSAT A.Ş.. Since 2008 to the present access to public services integrated with the portal has been provided for citizens, the business world and foreigners with residency permits. Current public announcements and public agency information can also be accessed through the portal.
The Portal, which had over 31 million registered users as of January 2017, provides 1767 e-services by 296 agencies.
THE FEATURES OF THE NATIONAL PORTAL
Provision of Services
Central government and local government services and subscriber services provided by companies are presented of the e-Government Gateway. Currently, 196 municipalities and 9 local service agencies are integrated in the portal. Most of the services that are provided are integrated with the portal and can be viewed over the same interface. The services that are provided to citizens through the portal can be grouped as follows:
- Information services
- Integrated electronic services
- Document creation/verification services
- Payment transactions
- Short cuts to agencies and institutions
The portal also functions as an identity verification platform. A separate window opens only to e-services that have identity verification integration, after the joint identity verification is completed. E-services that do not have integrated identity verification are also shown under public agencies. Identity verification is done on the agencies website for access to these services.
A thematic presentation was not chosen for presenting services. Services are listed based on agency. The system is also able to show the user services as frequently used, favorites and newly added services.
How long it will take for each service to be completed, how many steps are involved and what step you are on can be seen on the service access screen. Summary, add to favorites, grade the service and share on the social media features are presented as a standard for each service. There are introduction films and user guides for frequently used services.
One of the important features of the portal is that QR bar-coded documents special to agencies can be produced through the portal and the concerned party can verify the document on the document verification service. There are also mobile applications for document verification.
The portal follows an alternative approach for identity verification. In the current situation 5 different identity verification methods are being used.
- Citizen identification number and password
- Electronic Signature
- Mobile Signature
- e-Identification Card
- Internet Banking verification
The most common preference for use is the citizen identification number and password application. The password must be obtained from branches of the PTT, which offers postal services and from embassies and consulates as wellThe verification by active mobile phone Internet Banking identity verification was integrated in 2015 to provide lost passwords. This was greeted with great interest.
The portal stands out with a plain design. The frequently used services and most frequented agencies are listed on the homepage for easy access. The current announcements and new services news are shared on the homepage.
The portal provides expanded search functionality. The user service name, key word, registration information can be entered to filter the alternatives. For example, by entering a plate number the plate search services are accessed directly.
There is English content about the portal and use of the portal. Basic information about Turkey is also included on this sight for foreigners. Foreign nationals with residency permits (who have a foreign national identification no.) are able to use the e-Government services. However, the portal menus are in Turkish.
The Portal supports all existing Internet browsers. The portal has an e-Government mobile application for mobile devices. The application that was published in 2015 with a new interface is both iOS and Android compatible. The mobile applications have been downloaded by over 1 million people.
The text only version of the page provides basic accessibility features like large font, keyboard shortcuts and a site map. The Portal has ISO 9241-151 and ISO/IEC 40500:2012 certification in terms of providing usability and accessibility. Detailed information concerning Portal accessibility is shared.
Video call center services are provided for hearing and speech impaired citizens over the Portal with the theme “There are no obstacles in e-Government”.
Information security and privacy policies are shared in detail. Up to date information is provided to maintain information security. The Portal has an SSL certified connection infrastructure and is IPv6 compatible.
In e- Government Gateway, services for submission of requests, ideas, complaints and similar requests in various matters to relevant agencies are listed. “There is a “Communication and Assistance Center” menu to access content about information concerning the Portal and all evaluations and information on other topics.
The Portal has social media integration. On the e-Government Gateway information on official social media accounts belonging to the e-Government Gateway can be accessed.
- By following the Twitter: @ekapiaccount you can be kept informed on developments concerning the e-Government Gateway and it is possible to send questions and reports of errors concerning the e-Government Gateway. All messages that mention user @ekapi and include the hashtag #edevlet are evaluated and responding all of them is aimed. Also Tweets that include “e-Government”, “e-Government Gateway”, “türkiye.gov.tr”, etc. are examined.
- Facebook: Information about developments in e-Government Gateway can be accessed on the https://www.facebook.com/edevletkapi Facebook page and questions and error notifications concerning e-Government Gateway can be transmitted through this channel.
- Youtube: Videos concerning the use of the e-Government Gateway can be accessed on the https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChX28IHPQ2jyaBatdfRqGSQ
- Also it is possible to access research, technical articles and other announcements published by the e-Government staff and get to know the e-Government Gateway system and the staff that operates it better on the e-Government Gateway Blog.
- The Portal also has an RSS broadcast.
To provide easy access to users the Portal operates in integration with the National Assembly, Presidency and Prime Ministry communication channels to convey general demands, complaints and suggestions outside of the Portal use.
There is an e-Government Gateway Call Center available for handling problems that occur during the use of the e-Government Gateway and all opinions and suggestions concerning the e-Government Gateway. To reach the e-Government Gateway Call Center the form on the “Communication Form” page can be filled out or 160 can be dialed from all mobile and land lines or an e-mail can be sent to the email@example.com address. Video calls with Gateway Call Center employees who know sign language are available to prevent problems in accessing the Gateway Call Center.
There is a satisfaction survey for e-services on the e-Government Gateway. This enables the integrated services to be evaluated. Also, service suggestion surveys are periodically implemented on the site. Also there is a service scoring option for each e-service that is provided in integration.
The Portal is entered the services provided for customization are as follows:
- SMS services and e-mail are used as a channel for communication with the user. Announcements and proactive information is provided to users at their request through these channels.
- The user is able to change their out of country, IP restriction and internet banking settings for Portal access restriction.
- The user can see e-mails that come over the system in their “Inbox.”
- If the user wishes they may use the “Information Sharing” feature to assign authority to specified individuals to view temporary specified information.
- The user is able to view use history and access information for security purposes.
- We can suggest from among the new services the e-Government Gateway services that the user may need based on their user habits at the request of the user.
- The user is able to create their own page under “My Page”. The frequently used and favourite services can be added as modules to this page.
- The User is able to produce QRcoded documents over the Portal and have the concerned parties verify it.
- They are able to view these documents under “My Saved Documents”.
- The User is able to create a personal calendar and reminders in the “My Calendar” application.
Important improvements have been made in the Portal, which has been active since 2008, especially in terms of usability and accessibility. The customization and social media use features are among the important elements of the Portal. In Turkey, where the social media is widely used, the participation channels of the Portal are expected to be reinforced in the near future. The existing service provision set up of the Portal is based on institutional classification. With the increase of integrated services we aim to create service themes and the necessary setting to provide uninterrupted services.
In line with the action of “31. To ensure effective use of the e-Government gateway” included in the 2016 65th Government Action Plan, all services that are conducted by public agencies and institutions will be provided through the e-Government Gateway, thereby enabling natural and legal persons obtaining services from public agencies and institutions to request their services in electronic format without having to go the public agencies and institutions.
In line with the action of “E3.4.3-Delivering e-Government Services over the e-Government Gateway with Priority” included in the 2016-2019 National e-Government Strategy and Action Plan work will be undertaken to bring the services provided over the e-Government gateway to a feature and usability level that all walks of the community can use and to increase the number of e-Government service with widespread user audiences.
Also in line with the action of “E3.4.2-Restructuring e-Government Services to Address All Vulnerable Groups” national access standards will be restructured taking into account the international accessibility standards, the deficiencies in accessibility to e-Government services will be determined and the e-Government services will be restructured with consideration for all vulnerable groups.